I know I haven’t been consistent in posting on here, and I know I keep making excuses and I’m sorry about it. This blog is still important to me & something I hope to be proud of, but this summer has somehow simultaneously been everything I’ve hoped for and nothing I’ve expected all rolled into one.
This past month I have kind of let working full-time and the newness of living on my own 55 miles away from my family (it might not seem like a lot to you, but it feels like a whole lot to me!) engulf my life, which yes, I know is not good, but I think the time was necessary to devote. Living alone is still proving to be difficult in its own way, but I am working through it, and I know that it’s an experience that I’ll be able to use in the future. If you have any tips on beating homesickness while living alone, let a girl know. 😉
The four weeks since my last post have included a few changes, and I am finally ready to share them with you all.
- I’ve officially completed six whole weeks at my internship, which as been a positive experience in every possible way. My internship role is with a medical device company, and while my work is in process/industrial engineering (a strong contrast to the design coursework of BME!), I still feel as though I am contributing to the larger outcomes of the company and making a real change, which is a super cool thing to feel! I did not expect to love this job as much as I do, and it’s definitely taken me one step closer to figuring out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I still have six weeks left, so we will see what the rest of the summer holds, but I am really proud of all that I’ve accomplished thus far.
|Me & some of my fellow interns at an off-site event! (Excuse the thumb)|
- As the company I am interning with is an hour without traffic away from my house, I’ve moved into an apartment at a local college closer to my job to make the commute more bearable. I really love my roommate and it has been fun living alone, but at the same time I’ve been deeply homesick, which is something that is kind of hard for me to admit. While I am thankful for all that I am learning through cooking & cleaning for myself, I can’t help but miss spending quality time with my family on summer nights or taking my sister out for a Chipotle lunch date. As a result, I savor every moment I get with my family – and this long weekend has been such a true blessing!
|Me in my temporary dorm :'(|
- I’ve had a seriously odd bout of writer’s block, evidenced by my lack of presence here on Yours Truly, Katrina as well as in all of the other aspects of my writing. Emotionally, I guess my adjustment to all of these new things has prevented me from directing my energy towards things that I care about other than progressing my career, which kind of stinks, if I’m being honest. Still, I love writing so much, and I am glad to say that I’m finally in a place that I can comfortably write again!
- My roommate somehow convinced me to accompany her during her rock climbing adventures bi-weekly, and I’ve [surprisingly] loved it! I’m not very good at climbing, but I was able to get belay-certified the last time I went, which is a pretty great improvement in my book. The first week, the only wall I could get to the top of was the kiddie wall, and the second week I was truly able to get to the top of a real wall! I’m so excited to make more progress as the weeks go on, and it’s also been a great bonding experience for me, my roommate, and a few of my other co-workers too.
- Finally, a not-so-big update, but an update nonetheless: I’ve re-discovered my love for pop music, a revelation brought upon by Lorde’s new album, Melodrama and Halsey’s new album, Hopeless Fountain Kingdom. Guys, if you haven’t heard these albums, please give them a listen for me! Both albums are female-empowerment-pop-gold, and I am totally obsessed with both of them. I put both of them in their entirety on my June music playlist, which you can listen to below:
If you’re interested in having a little bit of input on future posts, please answer this quick little survey!